Part of the fun of seasons changing is updating your home’s decor. With some quick, easy additions to your front porch, you can make your home look ready for fall while increasing curb appeal and welcoming the coming holidays. Create a pleasing presentation for fall flowers and accents when you choose creative containers. Plus, incorporating decorative items in unusual ways will leave your porch looking picture-perfect all season long.
The floral experts at Expressions Unlimited have some great ideas to offer. Check out these fun ways to add beauty to your home and update your front porch for fall. And who knows? You may even be inspired to try something new and creative of your own!
Why Decorate for Fall?
Decorating your front porch for any season is an important practice. It helps you, your family and your neighbors get into the spirit of the new season and prepares everyone around for what’s happening next. Plus, you’ll feel inspired and renewed by the fresh, updated look of a newly decorated front porch. Here are a few reasons decorating for fall will do all of this and more for you:
- Add a Festive Flair to your Neighborhood– Even though summer’s warmth and colorful brightness might be fading, the glorious colors of fall can be celebrated and placed on display as well. When you enhance your front porch with beautiful fall decor and flowers, you help everyone who passes by feeling the essence of the fall season.
- Create an Easy Fresh Update– When it comes to aesthetics, change is always good. Not every home needs reconstructive surgery to look fresh and new. Sometimes a simple update to the decor can bring the improvements you’re craving.
- Add Curb Appeal to your Home– Your home will be the prettiest on the block when you add eye-catching fall decorations to your front porch. Include color with bright marigolds in multiple places for a pleasing look.
- Prepare for the Coming Holidays– As we drive through town noticing front porches decked out for fall, makes us keenly aware of the upcoming holidays. They’re right around the corner, and the sight of beautiful mums gathered with pumpkins, plaid throw blankets, or corn stalks is a great reminder!
Fall Hardy Mums
Start with Fabulous Fall Containers
The items you use to display your fall flowers and accent pieces will add to the overall look and give your front porch a rustic, autumn-ready vibe. Here are a few suggestions about how to use household items to create a beautiful fall display on your front porch.
- Barrels: A few wooden barrels with metal trim make an excellent focal point. Place a pot of Russian sage atop a barrel to create new and interesting height levels.
- Little red wagon: Re-purpose a little red wagon by adding a scarecrow, some dried corn stalks, and a plaid or argyle-patterned blanket.
- Ladder: Lean an old wooden ladder against the wall and use the steps as shelves for displaying smaller pots of daisies and miniature pumpkins.
- Rocking Chair: A rocking chair on the front porch with a painted “Welcome Fall” sign balanced across the arms adds an attractive and comfortable element to any porch.
Add Creative Touches to Your Fall Porch
We love the fall front porch standards like pinecone wreaths on the front door and a collection of pumpkins near the steps. But when you step outside of your comfort zone and include a few unexpected details, your porch comes alive with the spirit of fall. Try a few of these tricks to enhance your beautiful front porch for fall.
- Use contrasting colors of flowers– Purple lavender can be a dazzling counterpart to bright yellow sunflowers, creating a festive combination that celebrates the beauty and color fall has to offer.
- Rethink pumpkins– Instead of just clustering various pumpkins together, try painting your family’s name or your house number on them. Stack them or line them up to spell your greeting.
- Wrap pumpkins with ribbon instead of carving– Rustic burlap, bright plaids, or festive sparkling ribbon can be a great way to tie your porch’s color scheme together and keep your pumpkins fresh longer.
- Add unexpected details or combinations like gourds and succulents– Think outside the box and include a few elements, like succulents, that definitely fit in but aren’t necessarily the first thought when picturing fall decor. The unexpected twist will leave a lasting impression and give your porch that fresh update you’re looking for.
Fall Decorated Porch – Photo by Savvy Southern Style
There are plenty of ways to celebrate the beauty of fall, both indoors and out. Designing a porch scape that your family and neighbors will love is a gift to everyone. Bring your most creative ideas to your porch for fall and enjoy the fresh new look all season long. Send fall mums or other beautiful fall porch flowers to loved ones to help them decorate their homes, as well! To learn more about decorating your porch, reach out to the experts at Expressions Unlimited. We love to help you make the neighborhoods in the greater Cincinnati area fall-ready.
Shades of Autumn